Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thursday's Practice Run

Last Thursday Keenan and I had a trial run at the hospital! I woke up that morning and wasn't feeling very well and couldn't keep anything down, not even water. I finally called K at work and told him he needed to come home to take me to the hospital since I was having contractions that were coming every five minutes. They weren't too intense, but they were way more regular than anything I had experienced so far and had me a little nervous.
So after a quick shower to shave my legs, we headed into Labor and Delivery. They checked me into a labor room, hooked me up on monitors and saw that my contractions were coming every 2-4 minutes. The nurse gave me my first internal (sooo uncomfortable!), and told me that I was two centimeters dilated. They thought the contractions were brought on because I was dehydrated, so they hooked me up to an IV and gave me two bags of fluids. After a few hours I was still having contractions, but baby looked good and they checked me again. Since I was still at two centimeters, they gave me a shot that is supposed to stop contractions and sent me home after a total of 5 hours in the hospital.
The next morning I woke up to more contractions, so I called my clinic and made an appointment to see another doctor (my doctor was on vacation that week). Of course, after just relaxing all day and drinking plenty of fluids, the contractions eased up but I still went to my afternoon appointment. The doctor gave me yet another fun internal, but she thought I was only 1 centimeter dilated and didn't think I was in labor. She believed that I had a virus that caused me not to feel well and become dehydrated, and that's what brought on the contractions. She also said at this point since I'm pretty close to my due date they wouldn't do anything to stop labor at this point. So basically, right now it's a wait and see game.
I've canceled the rest of my photo shoots and have been resting up. I don't feel nauseous any more, however, I now have my husband's cold. My mom and dad traveled up Thursday night so she could stay with me while K and my dad went back to Portland for a car auction that Keenan needed to go to for work. She really helped me by cleaning up my house and catching up on my laundry. It felt pretty nice to be spoiled =)
I'm still having some contractions, but nothing that is regular or intense. I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday and while I think this little guy will make an early appearance, I don't think he'll be here for another few weeks. Probably.

35 Weeks, 5 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment